Setting scale on photograph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting scale on photograph

I'm working on a photograph. I've watched the short tip video and the "designing on photograph" video. To set scale, 1. I'm using the drawing scale tool to mark the height of the ceiling (108"), 2. I go into set scale tool with wand, type in 108". I thought that is it...the scale set, although when I check my scale it is 1=25.995 (not 1"=20") One of the videos showed going into...View, Edit drawing scale, and change to 1" = 20" (world distance). When I do that the size of my ceiling height goes down to about 83" so that's not correct. So is it just elevation drawings that are 1"=20", but photos are not. Thanks, Mary

The photo dimensions have to conform to the drawing scale you set. If you enter the ceiling height as 108", it will change the scale. Therefore, any image you add to the rendering will have to be resized to fit the new scale. For example, if you import the image of a lamp, check the height to match the real world dimensions and resize accordingly. The Elevations page is 1:20 and all the images from the modules fit that scale with the exception of the floor plan items (1:48) and the kitchen module (1:24)

Alternately, you can resize your photo so that the ceiling height shows correctly in the 1:20 drawing scale. This only works if your photo is on the small side. See att.
    Attached Files

Comment

I won't be working in the elevations page. I will be working with a client photograph and adding draperies, shades and/or different fabrics. I'm a workroom. Below is a clip (not the full image) of a practice sample I've been working on. It's a stock photograph, I added drapes. Photo is landscaped on 8.5 x 11 paper. For 108" ceiling height the drawing scale is 25.7". If I go down to 20" its 84.06". Getting the scale of the fabric accurate is important. I used a ticking strip so hard to see if the scale is correct, I'm going to try some other fabrics with a larger repeat. Is using 25.7" okay or do I have to reduce the size of the photograph to get to 1:20 drawing scale with a 108" ceiling height? That would seem like a lot of going back and forth with resizing the photo to get the 1:20. Thanks.
      Attached Files

Comment

What you've done is exactly right in the photo on the left. The drawing scale has to change based on the dimensions of the wall or window in the photo. Once you change the scale to make the ceiling height accurate in the photo, everything else you add can also be set to that new scale (1: 25.72). Your floral fabric vertical repeat will be entered into the custom fill and edited to the correct repeat. Everything you add to a photo whose drawing scale has been changed has to be changed to fit that photo.

in the drawing below the drawing scale is 1: 25.72, the fabric has a vertical repeat of 31" and has been edited to the scale in the photo to look the most like "real life".

You can't have it both ways... either the images in the photo are to your edited drawing scale including your fabric, or you just go ahead and draw or drag onto the photo "by eye" without worrying about measuring anything in the photo, using the 1:20 scale. That's fine if you don't want your fabric to look representational or if you add in a floor lamp that just happens to be the right height. If you want to use the measuring tool to find the length of your valance, for example, you'll need to change the drawing scale to match the photo you're designing on.

Resizing the photo is just an alternative option, but your photo may not work with that technique. Better to change the drawing scale.
        Attached Files

Comment

I've been editing and adding as i think about trying to make myself clearer, so please re-read everything I've written and see if it's starting to make sense to you.

Comment

Thanks. I think I got it, everything is set to the new scale. I'm going to try some fabrics with different repeats. Getting the fabric repeat to look "real life" is important. If I'm having issues I'll let you know. I appreciate your time!

Comment

• Debbie Green Sutherland
              Debbie Green Sutherland commented
              Editing a comment
              Like Merlyn said you used the Set Scale tool perfectly.

If you have any issues with adding fabrics to images CustomerHub has some great videos.
          Working...
          X