Issues with measuring tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studio Tools ~ Issues with measuring tool

While trying to draw a floor plan using the line drawing option, I drew a line and type in the size I want the line to be by typing in the measurement in the height/width size box. Then when I use the measuring tool to measure the exact same line, the measuring tool gives me a completely different measurement. I've also have an issue with two lines visually different sizes measuring the same size in the height/width measuring box. I'm working in 1/4" scale with the world distance set at 1"=48. All my measurements are in inches. Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

try this: draw a line, type in the length you want it to be; draw a dimension line using the dimension line tool (any size). Click on the first line you drew, hold down the shift key and select the dimension line, then under Same Size, click on Same Length (or Width depending on direction). What do you get?
    Attached Files

Comment

• Alison Sideris
      Alison Sideris commented
      Editing a comment
      I drew a 120” line and following your steps, my line converted to dimension line width, so is no longer 120” as I had drawn.

• Merlyn
      Merlyn commented
      Editing a comment
      sorry, should have reversed the order....if you click on the dimension line first, then the 120", and choose same width, the dimension line should then read 120".

Here are two screenshots showing two lines (visually different sizes) measuring the same. The dimension tool measures both lines completely different as well.

Screen Shot 2020-09-12 at 8.29.22 PM.png

Attached Files

Comment

how weird... I just tried the same thing and got incorrect results. drew a 100" line, then measured it with dimension tool and got 51.9" the only drawing scale that seems to be working with measuring correctly is the elevations tab and the 1/2" scale.

tried again and now it's working correctly... I don't get it
      Attached Files

Comment

• Alison Sideris
        Alison Sideris commented
        Editing a comment
        I wish I could say the same.

Attached Files

Comment

• Merlyn
        Merlyn commented
        Editing a comment
        Debbie, did you draw the line and then use the Height/Width tool to make it exact before you measured with the dimension tool? I think that's the sequence that Alison is following.

• Debbie Green Sutherland
        Debbie Green Sutherland commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, I drew a horizontal line first then used the dimension tool. I'll check again following your steps.

• Debbie Green Sutherland
        Debbie Green Sutherland commented
        Editing a comment

I love a mystery and a challenge, so I have continued to try to figure out what's going on and maybe how to work around it if a tool isn't cooperating.

Here's a method that has consistently worked for me:
      1. toggle on the graph paper in 1:48 scale; each square is 12"
      2. zoom in - this is important for accuracy
      3. using the grid, count off the squares closest to your wall measurement and draw your first line.
      4. select the dimension tool and drag across from left to right for width or top to bottom for length, positioning the cursor at the starting point of the line and ending as close as possible to the end point of the line. Again, zoom way in.
      5. if your eye is sharp and the measurement is exact, good for you! If not, click on the dimension line and make it exact to the inch. Then select the wall line, hold down shift key, click on dimension line and choose Same Width or Same Length.
      Everything should match and you can continue with your next wall. Attached is a footprint of a room with six different walls (lines and dimension lines).
      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
      X