Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to create realistic fullness/more 3D look in panels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to create realistic fullness/more 3D look in panels?

I realize that I am asking for alot but looking for any tips on how to make drapery panels more realistic. I am also working with a white tone on tone fabric that is hard to read. I am working with a designer that is throwing lots of work my way and I want to present the best renderings I can. I have encluded the tip on adding returns which looks great but these panels are just straight on/stationary. TIA Jeanne
    Attached Files

What you've done looks very good, Jeanne. Hard to tell about the fabric without seeing it close up? Did you change the line color of the panels to a softer/lighter shade? photoclipping is perfect! When I zoom in on your photo, it looks like the panels are imported images??? the edges by the greek key banding are a little choppy? did you design directly on the photo or use a different technique? If you attach the .mms file, I could give more helpful tips.

Comment

It takes time, I know. I always tuck the drapery right up to the rod if there aren't rings, otherwise things look like they are floating and not attached. I wonder about the color of the panels, too. Are the intended panels as bright as they appear in the image? They are so high-contrast they tend to take all the air out of the room. I know that sometimes I have to tone things down, and I can do that with an overlay of an almost transparent layer.

Comment

I actually darkened the lines of the panels thinking it would give some depth to the pleats. Panels are MM euro pleats. I also added a lighter line on top of the center of the panels to try to show highlights.
        I am sure that on a darker color or print that these would look better but this designer uses many light/tone on tone/metallic fabrics which I realize are difficult to show off. Thank you for your help!!!
        Attached Files

Comment

The biggest challenge I find is that what I see on my monitor is NOT what you see.....colors look perfect to me and then the designer says it looks completely off. How can we help alleviate this? I have thought about having them take a snap shot of their monitor to compare????

Comment

you will always have a "disconnect" between what you see and what your recipient sees, unless both have calibrated their monitors identically Following on Linda's comments: I see there are rings on the rods all pushed together... maybe you need to add rings over the pleats? Also, on the fabric - you've used it as is from the swatch without editing - is there a repeat you can see in the sample? if not, you might try cutting the height in half or more, to get more texture. For more depth, add some shadows between the front folds of the pleats, using the polygon tool and gradient fill with transparency - not much shows on a Euro pleat, but it does help with pinch pleats.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Oh, I like that! Thank you again!!!

Comment

Good morning! Here is my updated rendering of these euro pleat panels. I am happy with them and appreciate all the help. I saved them in my custom folder for future reference too!
                Attached Files

Comment

• Anna Davis
                  Anna Davis commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great job but you might suggest to your designer to put trim on both sides of the panels in the middle since they have no returns

• Jeanne McDermott
                  Jeanne McDermott commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you Debbie, Merlyn and Anna! Yes Anna - the designer did ask for trim on both sides too!

• Debbie Green Sutherland
                  Debbie Green Sutherland commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You're very welcome!
              Working...
              X