• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dilemma: How would you respond?

BR AFTER 1.jpgBR AFTER 2.jpgBR 2 BEFORE.jpg
    BR 1 BEFORE.jpg
    Hello!

Nice newer clients ordered twice in March and he just called to tell me that their screens to open his new windows to clean them now since their new shades were installed. (I have experienced difficulty uploading these images following instructions. They sometimes appear twice or not at all.It shows I have uploaded all 4, but only 3 are visible. When I inserted all 4, this wouldn't post, saying I needed to upload at least 1 photo, but I already had uploaded all 4. Sorry, you should get the idea.)

At the time of ordering one of their bedroom windows was new, the other was to be replaced with the identical window already in place. He had to leave after the family room was installed and I was dealing with her after he told her to order for the bedroom. She selected the perfect fabric. We were both thrilled. Installation was mutually delightful 2 months ago! I had initially suggested outside mount to lift the room and show off the fabric, but she preferred inside, just as their existing blinds were installed. No screens were in place or even discussed. I was aware that cranks opened the windows. I did not know the brand of their new windows. I advised cords because of limited access to a backside ring. A lot of folks today with air conditioning do not have or use screens anymore (as in my home). Was I to just assume there were screens or ask? He is even blaming my installer for installing them saying "He should have known."

I feel very badly because he seems to think I am somehow responsible and should have known. In 44 years I have never encountered this and am embarrassed to say that, believe it or not, I have somehow never encountered screens on the inside of the room. After all this time, I am just now learning this window style is not a new concept. How could I miss out on this info? Other than soft and hard treatments, I am not a replacement windows expert and had no idea this dilemma would present. I have studied WT and attended multiple seminars and this window style has never been discussed as a limitation. (My home and windows design are 40+ years old and I do not use my screens.)

I asked my client to send me a windows cut sheet; he wants me to call my vendor (Fabricut and their workroom). Not certain this error should fall (fully) on me. Clients would apparently have to completely remove the shades and brackets to install or release their screens for cleaning their windows, reorder OM shades (or live with dirty windows?). I feel badly and and naive.

W/Could there be a way to fashion some kind of custom bracket similar to those that hold metal blinds or roller shades that releases at the front so the wood headrail can just pull forward? Their order complete was about $1200 for these 2 Roman shades; I am looking for a creative alternative to reordering. I may consider looking into having them modified locally by adding a border at hem and sides for OM, but don't think this will work because headrail with cord is too short and modifying the shade won't change the cord position. If client design potential was better, I would just suck it up and re-order, but my cash flow is challenging now. Their kitchen in small and they will DIY, no windows.

Many thanks for your insights with this delicate scenario.

Kathy
    Attached Files
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.
    Kathleen Goldfarb

What a bummer..... In our former home in MA we had Andersen casement windows that cranked out and the screens were on the inside, so I am familiar with this type of window. If the blinds were in place when you measured and there were no screens installed, I would say a reasonable person would assume that the homeowner did not use screens. I would inquire: How were the screens put back in with the blinds up - did they take those down or just never used the screens? This type of window can be cleaned from the outside - is that what they used to do? And now they want something different? I wonder if the husband just doesn't like the new shades his wife selected and is taking it out on you.... Have you talked with your installer about a possible fix? If you drill your shade through the mounting board from the bottom to top, you might be able to use this type of bracket (see att.) which then would allow the shade to be removed easily and the screen installed/removed. If you have enough room for both!! Further clarification is needed before you assume any liability.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Merlyn; 07-09-2018, 12:31 PM. Reason: add more info

Comment

• Kathleen Goldfarb
      Kathleen Goldfarb commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there Merlyn!! Great to hear from you again!! Miss you TONS! Thanks for weighing in on what we thought was a pretty serious dilemma. Turns out after all of my dismay, my client emailed me yesterday saying: "Crisis averted. By removing the window crank the screen can be flexed enough to pass over the cam." Wish ALL issues had a happy ending like this. Someone suggested I send them flowers, so I am going to do just that tomorrow...personally deliver a pretty basket of something! How is CA? I MAY still make it out there one of these days and look you up! What are you doing to keep busy? (I KNOW you are!!!) I cannot believe I have never encountered these windows in 44+ years. I do a lot of windows, but I guess not a lot with IM hard shades. Hmmm...I wonder what else I don't know and what I will learn next... K

I asked Kathleen to post her question on the forum for additonal thoughts. I mentioned this definitely was a difficult situtation as to where the blame falls. And told her I encountered those windows many times. However, if the screens were out at the time she was measuring that could cause us to assume there weren't screens.

Kathleen, emailed me a little while ago and said that the homeowners are now going to removed the crank which will allow the shade to come all the way down and best of all they are happy! Kathleen will probably chime in when she has time.

Comment

• Kathleen Goldfarb
      Kathleen Goldfarb commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks again for your support Debbie!

Cancel this post!
    Client has notified me: "Crisis averted. By removing the window crank the screen can be flexed enough to pass over the cam."
    Kathleen Goldfarb

Comment

• Debbie Green Sutherland
      Debbie Green Sutherland commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Kathleen,

Do you want me to delete this post? Is that what you are asking?
Working...
X