Scaling Issue with Line Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studio Tools ~ Scaling Issue with Line Tool

I have called to report this issue before, but I'm still seeing the problem even in the latest Studio (V3.6 Release 2). It's very easy to reproduce on my computer. My font is set to 100% scale. I'm wondering if anyone else can reproduce this? Here are the steps....

1. In Space Planning 1/4" scale, draw a horizontal line using the line tool, and note the width of the line when you are done (displayed in the tool bar) and the line is still highlighted (green ends).

2. With the line still highlighted (green ends) go up into the toolbar and change the width of the line by manually typing in a new number. For example, say the original width was 150". Highlight the 150" in the toolbar and change it to 100". (you may notice here that the line actually gets longer, not shorter!)

3. Click away to unhighlight/deselect the line.

4. Click back on the line to select it again (green ends). The Width in tool bar still says it's 100".

5. Now use the DIMENSION LINE TOOL to manually measure the length of that line. You will see it is not 100", but something much longer.

When I have a room that is an odd shape, I often manually draw the walls with the line tool, then adjust their length by the method described above. This is how I stumbled on the issue. My workaround is to have to manually measure each line I draw to be sure it's the proper length. Very curious if anyone else can reproduce this also.
    Mary Kyryk

Hi, Mary, I tried this and mine changes to the correct length no problem. Are you drawing straight vertical or horizontal lines, or are you drawing angle lines? Yes you are right in space planning the lines do jump. In elevations, they do not jump in size. If you use the walls we have drawn and change the sizes they are correct.

Since this is an issue, use the walls already drawn.

Comment

Hi Anna. The issue happens whether the line drawn is straight horizontal, straight vertical, or angled. It jumps in Space Planning to the wrong length no matter what, and the length displays incorrectly when you select the line, which is quite confusing. It's definitely a bug with the line tool.

You are correct in that the "pre-made" walls do not have this issue in Space Planning, so I will try to use these going forward. Thanks.
      Mary Kyryk

Comment

• Debbie Green Sutherland
        Debbie Green Sutherland commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Mary, I followed your instructions and found you're correct, there is an issue when you use the line tool in Space Planning. The line tool works fine in the Elevation scale. Since most users either use the pre-made walls in the Space Planning index or the polygon tool to draw the footprint of a space, no one else has mentioned this issue.

FYI, if you want to add a fill to a room use the polygon tool. You can trace around an architectural drawing or freehand then use the dimension tool to check each wall.

Are you still experiencing an issue with your eyedropper tool?

disparity.JPG I've tried to duplicate this and did get the same results you did, Mary. My line not only jumped off the page it also changed to the incorrect dimension when measured. I guess I've never experienced this before because I use the polygon tool to draw my floorplan, then change the line thickness to 6 or 8 depending on whether it's an interior or exterior wall.

Comment

• Anna Davis
        Anna Davis commented
        Editing a comment
        Only in 1/4 inch scale is it a problem.

Thanks all. Yes, the line is the incorrect dimension when measured, per Merlyn's comment. I can also try using the Polygon tool instead for odd shaped rooms. Thanks for that.

Debbie - yes, eyedropper works now with Font scaling set to 100%. Thank you.
      Mary Kyryk

Comment

Editing a comment
        I will pass this issue along to our software development team.

Thanks for letting us know that your eyedropper tool is now working.

Turn on your graph paper - it's pre-set for 1' [12"] squares so it's easier to draw more exactly. To get your dimension lines inside the walls, make the polygon a bit bigger all the way around (not like I've done here ) polygon.JPG

Comment

And even stranger.... if you start on on the Elevations tab (drawing scale 1:20) and then click View tab > Edit Scale and change to 1:48 (Space Planning Scale) you will not have this problem!!
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Interesting. Software team will want to know that for sure to help debug.
          Mary Kyryk

Comment

• Anna Davis
            Anna Davis commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, I checked elevations first and it works fine just in the 1/4 scale tab the line tool is not true to size.

Editing a comment
            Yes, that will help.

I imported a picture of a window treatment, set the scale to match my Clients wall height and am now trying to measure the length of the top treatment to give to my workroom. The ruler is not giving me a dimension. Please see the attached. I tried to make a box the same size to measure that and it does not work either. I am using Studio Online. Thanks.
          Attached Files

Comment

It appears that your setting the original wall height did not work correctly. This happens when you click twice - don't click when you drag your set scale line cursor to the stopping point, just release it.

Start over by going to View > Edit Scale and change back to 1:20. Then draw your wall height dimension and use the Set Scale tool to change the height.. When you see those weird numbers, you know you need to go back.

Mini-clip here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9Fm9W15eHQ or in your Customer Hub

Lovely rendering, by the way!

Comment

• Kelley Price
              Kelley Price commented
              Editing a comment
              That worked. Thanks!

• Kelley Price
              Kelley Price commented
              Editing a comment
              Not my rendering, but thank you. I pulled it offline just to see the height of the swag. I like the proportions.

Editing a comment
              Thanks for responding Merlyn, I was out of town this weekend. @Kelley glad you were able to follow Merlyn's instructions and get it working. The Set Scale tool is so easy to do but that second click will totally corrupt the dimension.
          Working...
          X