Tied Back Panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tied Back Panels

Two questions - one where would you place tie backs on these panels. The room is small - ceiling height is only 86.5". Two - I can't find drapery pulled back images that can be ungrouped so I can pull the top section down more.
    Attached Files
    Lisa Harris
    Sew Perfect Draperies, Inc.

There are top and bottom pieces in the Draperies folder under Components/Tied Back that you can shorten or lengthen. A general rule of thumb is tie backs are placed at the two-thirds point from the top of the drapery, or approximately at the same level as the bottom of the window. Try the Box Pleated Tied Back Plain and its corresponding bottom. I might also lengthen the cornice so the top of the window casing doesn't show.

Comment

• Lisa Harris
      Lisa Harris commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahhhh - I just needed to scroll down more. Totally missed the components/tied back! Thanks. What your seeing is the valance on the wood blinds. The house and room is so small I hate to come down anymore. We'll probably remove that valance when we install the cornice.

Hi Lisa,

We have separate components in Components inside the Drapery index. The Components are located at the bottom of the Drapery index. The tie backs can look good at the current placement or try them a little lower approx 2/3 the way down.

Comment

There was only a 5" difference between 2/3 down and the bottom of window so I just went to the bottom of the window. What do you think?
      Attached Files
      Lisa Harris

Comment

• Anna Davis
        Anna Davis commented
        Editing a comment
        I would bring the middle down just a little, I would make the short point 14 to 15 inches.

I like the placement of the tiebacks.

I agree with Anna. Noticed that you did not scale your photo. When you change the ceiling height to 86.5, your cornice is only 12.5" long at the short point. One fifth the length of the total treatment is 20", so you could certainly go a bit longer in the center and increase the sides proportionately.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Here's the file again - i didn't change anything other than add the dimensions. I did scale it by shrinking the photo until the width matched up. Is that not the way to do it? It seemed right.

Anna - are you saying I should change the 20.5" length to 14-15"?
        Attached Files
        Lisa Harris

Comment

Here it is at 17"......14-15" seems low.
          Attached Files
          Lisa Harris

Comment

• Anna Davis
            Anna Davis commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Lisa we were talking about the middle of your cornice (the shortpoint) The 14 to 15 is the middle

• Lisa Harris
            Lisa Harris commented
            Editing a comment
            Well that makes more sense lol

I see the problem - it's the angle of the photo - at the end you measured it's the correct ceiling height; at the center and left side it's off by 3-4". You might try using Irfanview or other photo editing software to straighten your photo, save it (new name for file), and then import into Studio.

Are you familiar with the Set Scale Tool? That's what you need to use to scale your photos and imported images such as lamps, furniture, etc. Much easier than trying to shrink or expand your photo.
          Watch the mini-clip to see how. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9Fm9W15eHQ or from your Customer Hub.

Comment

• Merlyn
            Merlyn commented
            Editing a comment
            Actually, I tried straightening your photo and it's not possible... the ceiling line is straight, but the floor is crooked.... not much you can do with that photo to get accurate, to-scale measurements.

PS I'd suggest the homeowner paint the inside of that bay window to match the trim, not the adjacent wall color. And you did say you're losing the valance on the blinds?

Yes I'm going to suggest taking down the valance.

Would you change the proportions of the adjacent wall windows, keep them the same (I think that will look weird on these small windows) or maybe just put a straight cornice without the steps? Having a hard time with this house - its really really tiny.
          Attached Files
          Lisa Harris

Comment

the double window looks good with the stepped cornice, not sure about the other two smaller windows, especially against the semi-vaulted ceiling. Maybe just the banding on a straight cornice the same depth as the short point on the larger ones. Design dilemma, for sure!

Comment

Tell me about it!! The double window needs to be adjusted - it is not the same scale as the bay across from it. The width on the first step is 6" or so and the bay is 9. I have to do that yet. Getting burnt on these renderings lol But they need to be down so I can visualize the best design for this, job.
              Lisa Harris

Comment

After you decide the design concept, I would draw an elevation with the wall and window dimensions. It will be easier to get a proportionate cornice for the double window on the side, and you'll have more accurate measurements for fabrication because nothing will be skewed. Use a ratio to determine the width and spacing of the steps for the smaller cornice. Really zoom in to check your dimensions. In other words, don't try to do it on the photo - it's too distorted.

Comment

Good idea - the photos were difficult. What do you mean by use a ratio to determine the width and spacing? Would you do the double the proportions as the bay or proportionate to the window?
                  Lisa Harris

Comment

OMG after all that work she does't like the "zig zaging" even though she handed me a picture of that and said "I want this"! Ugh! She says this looks too plain. Good and bad.... lots of time on the rendering but glad it helped her visualize it better "before" it was made up!
                    Lisa Harris

Comment

Set up a ratio like this: let's say one cornice is 112" wide and the other is 58" wide. Divide 112 by 58 and you get 1.9. Your bottom step width of the larger cornice is 14, so your smaller cornice bottom should be 14 divided by 1.9 or 7.3". I'd made the steps up the same size on both, and keep the depth the same.

On the larger cornice I like the width of the steps before you get to the short point to equal the width of the drapery panel underneath.

and just a little warning - if you have not done this style before, those sharp steps on cornices are difficult to do, no matter how skilled you are. Did you know you can use your Studio drawing for a template for cutting the cornice board? See this post: https://www.minutesmatterstudio.com/...shaped-cornice
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Okay - now I understand. I have done that before. I didn't think it would look good to have different proportion valances in the same room. We're back to square one designing anyway. Ugh.
                        Lisa Harris

Comment

oh my, don't you love clients like t hat!! at least you won't have to deal with those sharp corners... that room might be better off with plain box cornices and straight draperies.

Comment

• Debbie Green Sutherland
                            Debbie Green Sutherland commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Lisa, I agree with Merlyn. I like the idea of a straight cornice with straight drapery panels. With straight draperies hopefully the eye would go upwards and give the room a taller appearance. I would also consider doing a solid fabric that somewhat blended well with the wall color.
                        Working...
                        X