More Backsplash Tile Patterns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To's ~ More Backsplash Tile Patterns

In my never-ending quest to prevent Studio users from re-inventing the wheel, I have attached four new backsplash patterns, each around 10' wide, two hexagonal tiles and two variations of subway tile patterns - a chevron herringbone and a vertical offset.. Ungroup and resize to fit your wall area, or tile size. Copy and paste to your Custom Tab, or in your Kitchen folder under Accessories.

These are not perfectly spaced; I rationalize that laziness by saying it looks more like real tile For the OCD users, feel free to zoom in and fix!

Please post here if you have any questions.

And if anyone can figure out to make a basketweave tile (like the attached) using 3x6 come out evenly, please also post.
    Save
    Attached Files
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Great job! I am constantly mentioning to our users that everything doesn't have to be perfect. I tell them to zoom to fit page and then those little details are even noticable.

Comment

After watching a youtube video of actual tile being installed, I figured it out: no grout lines! Just butt the tiles right up against each other like this, using the Snap To Object under the View Tab (this does help make it "perfect"), and then change the line color to match your grout color. Duh...

I've added it to the Tile Patterns file previously attached.

After all that, I'm not sure I like it - kind of busy? (click on 4 Photos to see comparison)
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Merlyn, How long does it take you to produce a drawing similar to this--or perhaps a little simpler. I begin to lose patience after an hour or two. Will you please offer any advice or suggestions on how to "keep going."
        Thank you
        Carol

Comment

Kitchen elevations are the most time consuming because there are so many dimensions involved and you have to get them exactly right! A few bits of advice on cutting down on production time:
          1. Do a floor plan first. This is essential to make sure all the elements you want to incorporate will fit, there's room to open doors, pull out shelves, walk around, etc. Select and research your appliances for width/height/depth. Check for specifications pages and copy/save the line drawing. If you plan to use the actual photo of the fridge or range, save that too. Save tile, granite, faucets and hardware to replicate the finish. This will take quite a bit of time, so take a break here.
          2. Start with the easiest wall. Select your cabinet finish, line color, and hardware. Try out the look to see if it is pleasing and realistic. Experiment with wood fills using both horizontal and vertical fills, edited/set to the size of the cabinets.
          3. Work from the wall out, backsplash, window if any, then plumbing (sink cabinet, cooktop area for pot filler, dishwasher). Just draw the wall as a rectangle - width and height, don't use the wall templates - you'll probably change the moulding, baseboard and flooring when you're nearly finished.
          4. Add your lower cabinets and countertop. Measure up 18" from the countertop (this is standard) to figure out where your upper cabinets will be positioned. This will help you determine if you have room for the 42" cabinet or have to use custom cabinets.
          5. Add crown mouldings to cabinets as you determine placement of cabinets over wall oven, fridge, etc. - some will be in back, some in front, depending on cabinet depth.
          6. Okay, that's enough. Take a break from drawing (Control/S!!) and do some Internet sourcing for cool accessories, lighting, barstools, fabric, etc. Note dimensions when saving images.

If your kitchen design is a remodel, you can sometimes work off a photo of the existing room, once you've scaled it to the real life dimension. Use the transparency feature to aid in placement.

I like to do kitchens as separate walls, so that you can see all the cabinet dimensions. Cabinets hidden in the corners are not fun to draw and don't tell the whole story.

A rendering like the one in my previous post would probably take several hours to complete. An hour is the most you should spend at a time, however. Otherwise, your eyes start to cross and you make dumb mistakes which take longer to fix. or at least I do....

Control/S frequently. This is no time to forget! And use the zoom tool to get waaaay in. It's also helpful sometimes to use the Snap to Object feature under the View tab. I moved the align tools down to the quick access toolbar because they're used so much in kitchen drawing.

Another tip is to look at previous drawings and see if there are bits and pieces you can copy. It's easier to Save As, make the changes, than to start from scratch if the kitchens are similar.

The more frequently you work with the Kitchen Module, the quicker you'll get because you'll be able to figure out where the components are that you need within the Toolbox.

Check out my Pinterest elevations for ideas on how I take artistic liberties with perspective, and other tricks.https://www.pinterest.com/corky301/kitchen-elevations/ See if you can spot some of the mistakes I made (every time I look at them they jump out at me!) And please feel free to email me with any questions about the module - always happy to help! corky301@aol.com
          Save

Comment

• Debbie Green Sutherland
            Debbie Green Sutherland commented
            Editing a comment
            Great tips and detailed instructions! Your Pinterest Kitchen board is fabulous.

Thank you Merlyn for your detailed explanation!! I agree, your Pinterest board is fantastic ;-}

Comment

this would be WONDERFUL if those patterns can be in the properties, fill, pattern part!

Comment

• Merlyn
              Merlyn commented
              Editing a comment
              I tried exporting the basketweave and then using it as a fill. Loses a lot in the translation. Much easier to save the file I attached above, open it, copy the backsplash you want and then paste it into your rendering. You can then adjust the height or width as needed by ungrouping.

great I will attempt!

Comment

I would like to use the tile layouts in this post on my studio online drawings, is there a post that explains how to do this? thanks

Comment

• Anna Davis
                Anna Davis commented
                Editing a comment
                Just click on the file in the #1 post and save it to your computer, it has the .mms extension above the drawing.

Editing a comment
                Hi Monica, Like Anna said if you are trying to download the .mms file you would just click on it while you're logged into your Studio Online account. it will download and then you can click on the downloaded file and it will automatically open Studio showing the tile patterns that Merlyn created.

Thanks again Merlyn for sharing this file.

I think i will need personal training for this. I am just not getting it, I dont see the MMS extension on the file when I click it. How do I book a personal session?

Comment

Editing a comment
                Hi Monica, Were you able to download the .mms file after seeing Merlyn's screenshot in the post below?

• Monica Plotka
                Monica Plotka commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Debbie - yes I was able to make it work!! Yay!
                I need a side view of a toilet for a bathroom elevation, is there one out there anywhwere? thanks

Are you clicking on the file in the very first post? I doublechecked - it's still working!!
              Attached Files

Comment

Monica, here's a quickie of the Toto toilet side view; the more traditional toilets are pretty ugly from the side with all the exposed piping/trap

for anyone looking for a front view, check this link https://www.minutesmatterstudio.com/...odule-cabinets
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Merlyn! That is true about a side view of a regular toilet.

Comment

• Merlyn
                    Merlyn commented
                    Editing a comment
                    oops, group the components before using the template!
                Working...
                X