Screen Capture vs. Export Image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screen Capture vs. Export Image

In light of the recent issues with Windows 10 Creators and exporting Studio issues, I did some experimenting with converting Studio (.mms) renderings into jpegs.

Here's what I discovered: the snipping tool is faster and more accurate. In the attached screen shots you can see the image using Studio's export feature cuts off the border in a not very pleasing way and requires some cropping to look good. On the other hand, the snipping tool is WYSIWYG, what you see is what you get, and saves the step of opening imaging editing software to check and crop. The smaller size (485 KB vs. 85 KB) sends faster via email too. Importing that exported or snipped rendering back into Studio, I find the snipped image is a bit clearer, surprisingly!

Another benefit of the snipping tool (or screen capture with a Mac) is there are no extraneous forgotten bits of text or images you've parked outside the drawing space and you can actually expand your drawing space from legal to fit more of the drawing by adding some white rectangles to either side.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

I use the snipping tool all the time also Merlyn. The export is a great tool but sometimes I need to control where I snip and the export just will not let you do this. The rule of you can't create outside of the workspace can be an issue sometimes. Well, every now I then I just need a larger workspace. So I create a workspace that is larger and draw on it. Then I use the snipping tool to capture everything that I have created. Is this recommended, no, but sometimes I just need this option.

Comment

• Debbie Green Sutherland
      Debbie Green Sutherland commented
      Editing a comment
      Merlyn, Thanks for sharing those examples of export vs. screen capture. I use screen captures all the time and they have always been super crisp.

• Merlyn
      Merlyn commented
      Editing a comment
      Faster, easier, sharper -- I'm sold! Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?! That's one of my favorite things about Studio - there is always something new to learn.

• Debbie Green Sutherland
      Debbie Green Sutherland commented
      Editing a comment
      You're right, there's always something new to learn.
Working...
X