How to draw odd shaped seating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to draw odd shaped seating

I'm trying to add one of these curved loveseats to my 1/4" floorplan. There is no icon that even comes close to this curved shape. I've asked the company if they have one, I thought maybe I could download it and resize it, but they do not. I've tried to draw it, but it looks terrible. The size of the one section is 86" x 47" deep. Can anyone help me?
    Attached Files

As you can see everything is on the Internet. I googled line drawings of curved sofas. Then I clicked on images and just looked through the images. You will still have to import and trace but that is the easy part.

Is this what you need? https://www.google.com/search?q=bird...qbUSaKx6zGKbM:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bird...sectional&safe =active&rlz=1C1CHYD_enUS606US607&source=lnms&tbm=i sch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjcjfGlxqfUAhUmwlQKHQTbCzIQ_AUI CigB&biw=1604&bih=921#imgrc=x2s_KAWDOn3GvM:

If you google bird's eye view you get a lot of images for a curved sofa

Once you dowload the image just bring it into studio and trace. You will then have a drawing you can use. Be sure and save in your custom folder.

AL1002 specs.jpg
    image_10517.jpg
    Attached Files

Comment

This is what drives me nuts about some vendors --- here Lexington Furniture has a really cool room planner where you can drag on their pieces to scale, but where the heck is the armless curved sofa in this Tommy Bahama collection???? I searched several places for an overhead view of this sectional piece and found nothing. It's not even in their catalog, where most manufacturers have the "floor plan" images.

anyway, here's how I'd do it using their dimensions - but since we don't have an overhead view, we can't be sure how the curves go....
      Attached Files
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

• Anna Davis
        Anna Davis commented
        Editing a comment
        If you go to the Generic furniture you will find the curved furniture.

Thank you, Anna.

Comment

Wow, thank you so much Merlyn. Your drawing looks fabulous! At first I couldn't get the mms file to open, so I took a jpeg of it and tried to trace it. I did all sorts of things to try to get the lines look smooth and then to be able to fill it. I've attached what I did...but it definitely looks crude. It wasn't until a little while ago I tried to download your mms file and it actually came through....I would love to use it, but it won't let me fill it.

It drives me crazy too that Lexington doesn't have the image on their website or catalog.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Merlyn
          Merlyn commented
          Editing a comment
          oh dear, I may have left it at full transparency to see the shapes underneath. Sorry about that. Try ungrouping and then moving the transparency bar back to full opacity. Then fill. see attached below

I have trouble opening the .mms files here too.

This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

It worked! It worked! It looks soooo much better now. Thank you, Merlyn!!!

Comment

• Merlyn
            Merlyn commented
            Editing a comment
            on this site you can download a pdf of the fabrics for this collection, under Videos Additional Media - Designer Correlations
            http://www.summerhomefurniture.com/c...ectionnum=3130
            use your snipping tool or screen capture to grab

the key to getting the smooth lines is to use the close bezier tool, graph paper and dimension lines for the measurements of the item.

Import the image below into Studio and follow the directions to create the curved shape.

Comment

Merlyn, I can't wait to try making the curved furniture from scratch. Your diagram makes it look so easy!!! Thank you also for the Summerhome website...I've downloaded it to my Ibooks to show the client how the different fabric combinations look on the pieces.

Debbie, isn't there some way you could coax Merlyn out of reitrement? I miss her webinars so much!!!

Comment

• Debbie Green Sutherland
            Debbie Green Sutherland commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi SuElyn, I know everyone loved her webinars! But retirement is heavenly when there are grandchildren involved.

• Merlyn
            Merlyn commented
            Editing a comment
            much appreciated, SuElyn! I am getting so old and forgetful I would probably give Debbie a full time job editing the pauses in the recording when I can't remember the name of the tool or even the topic!! Much past the sell-by/shelf life date, I'm afraid!

Hi Merlyn,
          Remember this Tommy Bahama Curved Armless Seating that you kindly helped me with way back in June? Well, it's a long story. but I'm trying AGAIN to see if it will fit on my clients patio around the firepit. The beautiful drawing you helped me with....I don't think is entirely accurate because the pieces should form a smooth circle when put together as you will see on Page 2 of the MMS file I'm attaching. It's crazy that I have had to beg Lexington for what they sent me today....also attached. This black drawing shows the front curve as being a lot shorter than we had drawn it. I've been trying to edit it to reflect that, but keep running into trouble. Can you help me please? If I didn't have those 2 stone walls on the patio, I could order without worry, but I'm so afraid they might not fit.
          Attached Files

Comment

I traced the black drawing image and then duplicated it to get two more... is this how you want it to look? Use your dimension line to resize to the appropriate dimensions.

If you can't download the file, email me at corky301@aol.com
            Attached Files

Comment

Thank you, Merlyn, Dah, why didn't I think of that! I always tend to make things more complicated then they are. I will work on this later this afternoon and let you know how it turns out.
              What tool did you use to trace those nice smooth curves on this image?
              Thank you again!

Comment

• Merlyn
                Merlyn commented
                Editing a comment
                That's the close bezier tool - see instructions in my previous post # 8. Start your first click on the bottom left and keep going around the shape you want to trace. Use the transparency tool to check your edit points when you're done.

I saw the mistake on the original - the depth dimension that Lee gives (47") is not the depth of the seat, but rather the overall piece.

Thanks again, Merlyn, I worked with the closed bezier tool to draw the cushions in. It's not perfect, but not too bad. I've attached the file to show you. It does seem like this curved sectional will fit around the firepit......I sure hope so, because that will be a very expensive mistake if it doesn't.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Merlyn
                Merlyn commented
                Editing a comment
                love to see it, but can't download the file.... mind putting up a jpeg version?

Here ya go!
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, Anna!

Comment

Your client will have some cozy nights outside when that design becomes reality - good on you for persevering and getting it right! We'll be waiting for the "after" photos next....

After four separate visits and tries to download file, I finally got to open your file. Loved your use of the potted plant for the fire in the fire pit and the overlay of the two textures to get the wicker- very creative!

Keep practicing with the close bezier tool - you'll get it and be very pleased with the smooth results on those curves - much better than the polygon tool.
                Save
                Save

Comment

Comment

Thank you, Merlyn. I probably learned those things from the webinars and courses I took from you years ago! I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the support from you, Anna & Debbie. You guys (gals) are the best!

Comment

• Debbie Green Sutherland
                      Debbie Green Sutherland commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I ditto Merlyn's remarks, very clever use of the plant for the fire. I bet you could even use the gradient feature to make the fire have different colors.
                  Working...
                  X