1/8" Scale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/8" Scale

What is the best way to bring a floorplan into studio that was written in 1/8" scale?
    I've taken a screen shot of it and can bring it in as a jpeg. What page size should I use before bringing it in? Elevation, !/4?
    When I bring furniture in, how do I make sure the furniture is sized correctly?

Hi SuElyn,

You can import on the 1/4" tab and then you can resize the jpeg (make sure you don't skew it - to prevent skewing hold down the shift key and pull a corner edit point.) I am assuming you want to have the rendering in 1/4" scale. All of the space planning images were drawn in 1/4" scale. When you drag images over from Studio's index you can change the size to whatever you wish.

Once you have imported the jpeg on the 1/4" tab, begin to enlarge it by pulling on a corner edit point. Use the dimension tool to confirm that measurements are the correct size. I usually start with creating one dimension line that is correct and resize the jpeg to fit that measurement. I also zoom in to make sure my dimension line is positioned accurately. Be sure to check at least one width AND one length. Doing that will ensure you have not skewed the jpeg.

One more tip: Make sure your workspace is large enough to handle the rendering before you begin. If the floorplan is for an entire floor of a house and you only want to create a floorplan for a room or two; open the jpeg in Irfanview and crop so you only to import what rooms you need.

Let us know if you need further clarification.

Comment

Thanks, Debbie. So......when I've carefully enlarged the Jpeg of the floorplan to fit the page I'm working on. I put in a correct dimension line of some part of it....and then I'm not sure what you are saying.
      Do I use the scale tool to rescale it or do I enlarge or decrease the jpeg so the area fits the dimension line I drew? I'm guessing it's the use the scale tool....but I just want to be sure I understand.

Comment

No, you do not need to use the Scale tool. if you do as Debbie instructed, you're already in the correct drawing scale (1/4" = 1"). You've made your floor plan to scale by dragging out the corner edit point until the dimension line you drew is lined up with the room. Say the family room is 15' wide. Draw a dimension line 15' or 180". Position in the family room portion of your imported image of the floor plan. Then adjust the size so that the dimension fits perfectly on the width of the room. Hope this is clear....

Comment

• SuElyn Chase Veitch
          SuElyn Chase Veitch commented
          Editing a comment
          Merlyn, Thank you that was very helpful! I was able to do it!
          I'm so glad you are working with Minutes Matter! I really miss your webinars! Any chance you'll be doing them in the future?

• Merlyn
          Merlyn commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi SuElyn, Thanks for your kind comment. I retired from MM in 2014, believe it or not! But you know me, I like to "keep my oar in....."

Every time I open Studio I discover some new way to use it - a wonderful hobby to have in my leisure time. Just this morning I was teaching my 10 year old granddaughter how to import images and erase the background!

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
        X