Import a photo question on a Mac with Parallels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To's ~ Import a photo question on a Mac with Parallels

I am a Mac User with Parallels. I tried last night to import a photo from my Photos (Mac) to a studio design. The dialog box did not show my photos or any way to import the photo. Then I tried to drag into Dropbox, no, then I tried to save as a document, couldn't do that either. Any help would be appreciated.

Deborah M. Williamson
    Treatments For Your Panes

Did you follow Anna's directions here? https://www.minutesmatterstudio.com/...ight=mac+users

Comment

Hi Deborah,

I will check my Mac Desktop tomorrow that has Parallels installed and give you more insight. I do know that Mac traditionally doesn't allow third party software access to photos. You might have to copy desired photos to a folder on your Mac Desktop to which will allow Parallels to access. I'll let you know my findings tomorrow morning.

Comment

• Anna Davis
        Anna Davis commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Deborah, Older OS of Macs will not let you access your iPhotos from Parallels or any other location. You will have to export and sometimes you can copy and paste them to a different folder. I do not put photos in my iPhoto location for this reason. I have a folder I made called Pictures that I have located in Documents so I don't have to go through the steps of exporting or moving my pictures

Hi Deborah,

Sorry for the delayed reply today. The office was super busy. First, let me say I have the latest version of Parallels which is Parallels 12 and I also have the latest OS for Mac which is Sierra and I am a total Mac user just like you. With that being said, I was able to access the Photos folder on my Mac. Previously, Mac's have not allowed this access.

You need to have your Shared folder set properly in Parallels. I am also thinking you need to have the latest updates for your Mac and for Parallels to allow this to happen. As you know Mac changed from iPhoto to Photos a while back. Photos works fantastic and all my photos sync across all my devices and I love it and wouldn't use anything else.

See my Screenshots ~ I have written notes under each photo.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

• Anna Davis
        Anna Davis commented
        Editing a comment
        Debbie that is great to know. I have not updated so I guess this gives me a reason to update. I will also need to update to Parallels 12 so update I will now.

I am having the same problem Debbie Williamson is having. Just went into Parallels to follow Debbie's instruction. First Problem. Yellow highlighted box in Windows 10 Options says changes can't be made until virtual machine is shut down. Couldn't figure out how to do that!

Comment

• Debbie Green Sutherland
        Debbie Green Sutherland commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Bonnie,

I agree that was a little confusing at first.

Here's the trick: When you click to open Parallels a window appears and then you automatically click again to log into Windows. In the first window, look for the cog wheel, click on the cog wheel and you will be able to edit your Share settings before you officially log into Windows. I tried to add a screenshot but it wasn't showing up. I'll reboot and try to post the screenshot later today.

Hi Debbie,
      I think I may know what I am doing wrong. I am trying to download a photo directly from my Photo Icon in my dock. I don't have a "photos file" set up. In the past, I have always created a client folder and included all their photos in that versus a "photo file" that holds all my client photos. That's probably my problem, right - you can download directly from the photo icon? I do have the latest versions of everything.

Comment

Editing a comment
        Hi Bonnie, Are you saying you use the new Photos program that is setup by default for Macs? If so you can access your photos from there. But you can't access your dock. I hope I am understanding your question. My #4 post explains how to access your Photos program on your Mac.

Yes, Debbie, I was trying to pick up from my dock so that's what I was doing wrong. I am a new MAC user so have much to learn. I have to understand better what you mean by the default photos program. Going to test it now to see if I've got it. Thanks!

Comment

Editing a comment
        Hi Bonnie, Every Mac user that has the newest OS has Photos. It replaced iPhotos. Once you begin using Photos it will sync across all your devices. I love it, it makes life so much easier. There are videos that explain more on the Apple website click on the Support tab or you can search YouTube. Just press your Spacebar + Command and type Photo and double click to open and get started.
    Working...
    X