Webinars ~ Attendees' Questions 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Webinars ~ Attendees' Questions 2011

Q. Where can I find more information about child-safe window coverings?
    A. Hunter Douglas offers advice on suitable window treatments here: http://www.hunterdouglas.com/pdf/Chi...The_Window.pdf

Q. Where did you get the print of the turtle?
    A. the artist is Carrie Marill http://www.20x200.com/artists/carrie-marill.html

To get the perspective view, I opened the image in Photoshop, clicked on Image>Distort and moved the edit points to angle the painting. Then I added a narrow rectangle to the side to give it some dimension, as well as a shadow below.

Q. Where did the outlet covers come from?
    A. I googled outlet covers but didn't take note of the website. One is attached.

Q. Is it possible to make the color wheel box smaller?
    A. No, we all wish that were possible! Place your cursor on the top bar, click hold and drag it out of the way.

Q. How did you get the paint chip sample into your rendering?
    A. I used my Snipping tool (Vista or windows 7) to cut it out from the paint vendor's site, then imported into Studio using Import Image. Use a screen capture tool if you don't have the Snipping tool.

Q. Did you make the letters on the wall or is that from the Internet?
    A. Yes, I made them, and have attached an .mms file below for your use or inspiration to make your own!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Anna Davis; 02-05-2013, 12:20 PM.

Follow up to "Studio Live! Back to Basics" January Webinar

There weren't many new questions, just a few.... remember to look at the previous months (2010) if you are searching for answers about fonts, shadows, copyright symbol, Irfanview (photo editing software), etc.

Q. Do the colors stay in the Custom area after your close the program?
    A. No, once you close your Studio program the Custom colors that you have saved are gone. They only remain with the images in the file that you've used them in.

Q. When you make a copy of a file (Create a Copy of the Page under the Home Tab) and then put new fabric in, do you have to redo the photo clipping or can you just load the fabric and it goes "in place?"
    A. Yes, you don't have photo clip again. Only the fabric is replaced.

Q. I have trouble adding my logo template to my Custom Tab.
    A. One thing to watch for is ungrouped images; another is any image, especially the text boxes, that may be off the white workspace. Use your Zoom out tool to 40% and hit Control/A to view all the images. If any are unhighlighted, ungrouped or off the white workspace, fix that before trying to add to your Custom tab.

Q. Please explain when to group/ungroup and lock/unlock.
    A. I tell my Coaching students to go easy on the grouping. If you group too many images together, it becomes difficult to make changes and can get quite messy. You don't want to add to your frustration. Group all the components of a design together after you have added color, fabric, trim, etc. so that you can move the design as a single unit. You may want to name this group under the Image List to make it easier to find (click on Text and type in a new name to replace "group"). Similarly, ungroup to move parts of your design after you have completed all your fill effects.

I use the locking icon when I know that I want an image or group of images to stay in one place permanently. If you're not planning to do any photo clipping, you can lock your photo in place. Lock your wall template once you've completed work on it.

And the name of the Pantone "2011 Color of the Year" is Honeysuckle, thanks to Katy Hahn and a few others who let us know!

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_sXosXDJ6K3c/TQ...jpg?imgmax=800

Comment

Re: Follow-up for "Studio Live! Bring Home Baby" February 2011

Each month our Studio webinars are free of charge. You can attend by simply registering with your email address and name, or by clicking on the Auto Register in the email announcement you receive each month.

Starting in 2011 we have instituted a charge of $14.75 to cover the cost of converting the webinar into a recording which you can view on your computer, giving you the ability to pause, fast forward, etc.

There are many costs associated with hosting a webinar. First the company must maintain an account with Citrix our webinar host site. Minutes Matter has purchased the premium account so that we can have more than 25 attendees. Our webinar hosts spend hours preparing, rehearsing and hosting the presentation, each one has a different theme and loads of fabrics, accessories and furnishings. All our staff is involved in the production of each webinar - posting, emailing, assisting with logging on, answering questions, following up, and editing and processing the recording after the webinar is over.

While attending the webinar live is still free, you will have to purchase the recording to view at your convenience. You will also receive a white paper and/or a template each month, with your purchase. February's theme was Bringing Home Baby and featured a white paper entitled Nursery Safety Suggestions for New Parents which you can print on your letterhead to give to clients, and a two page Studio file template of two cribs, a glider rocker, and a rocking horse. See below, the top image is a slide from the powerpoint presentation, not the white paper.
      Attached Files

Comment

Follow up to Studio Live! Architectural Details - March Webinar
        Questions and answers from today's webinar; be sure to check prior webinar threads for questions you may have. In addition, watch the mini-clips which explain dozens of tools and functions such as adding an outdoor scene http://www.minutesmatterstudio.com/f...ead.php?t=3363

Q. When you are creating a perspective rendering, where do you measure?
        A. I use the back wall as my starting point and make that the "real life" dimensions. That is the only part of the drawing you can successfully measure. Any other wall needs to be done by eye, trying to keep it in proportion. I do take artistic liberties with the angles of the walls in order to show furniture slightly angled rather than at a severe angle.

Q. Why did you use the left side of the window to measure when you used the Set Scale tool.
        A. When you are working with fabric, it's a good idea to start with the image that is closest to the foreground and edit the fabric fill to the known repeats. Fabric patterns on treatments farther in the background needs to be made smaller. Because of this I used the window closest to the foreground to change the drawing scale so that the fabric would be realistic looking.

Q. When you use a bay window template from the Wall Templates Module, can you change the size or shape of the windows?
        A. Yes, you can delete the window by sub-selecting and select a new style, or you can sub-select one part of the window grouping and resize it.

Q. Why do you hold down the Shift Key when you resize a photo?
        A. We do this in order to keep the size proportionate to the original. If you move only the side or top/bottom edit point, the photo will become distorted. We use the shift key and the corner edit point when resizing all images in proportion, length & width, to the original.

Q. How do you create a 1.5 wom (width of material) drapery panel?
        A. Some panels in the Image toolbox are already 1.5 wom, you'll see this in parentheses (1 12). If you need to make a fuller panel, duplicate the panel and use the skew/perspective edit point to align the two images, moving the bottom leading in to keep it from flaring, for example.

Q.
        Is it possible to add an outdoor scene after you have completed the rendering?
        A. Yes. You can select the window and either use the Fabric Fill Effects to fill the glass with a scene, or make the glass transparent and import an image of an outdoor scene, sending it and the wall all the way to the back. To fill using the Image List, locate the window, click on any sub-title marked with a + (plus sign) until you get to the glass. Then proceed as above with the fabric fill effects.

Q. How did you create the rug with the sisal effect?
        A. The first shape was filled with a texture, then duplicated. The outline was removed (Line Width > None) and filled with a Pattern, then made slightly transparent to show the texture. Select both shapes and Align Top and Side. Group. See below for the two layers pulled apart.

A. Bonnie Haugh reported that the unique art piece chandelier in the contemporary room photo may be the work of Dale Chihuly
        http://www.chihuly.com/museums.aspx
        Attached Files

Comment

Re: Webinar Attendees' Questions 2011

Too late for yesterday's webinar, I came across a perfect example of updating a fireplace wall, adding closed storage, yet not losing the classic architectural detail. Not sure I like the tv over the mantel - I would hide that behind a panel.

These photos are from Phoebe Howard's blog www.mrshowardpersonalshopper.com

Comment

Re: Follow-up for Architectural Details March 2011

On the Veranda site architect Peter Pennoyer lists some architectural features he'd incorporate into his interiors for the classic touch:

http://www.veranda.com/room-decorati...ct-design-tips

Comment

Follow up for April Webinar Designing the Home Office

Q. Where can I find photos of outdoor scenes?
              A. Click on this link and then select the photos you want to save to your My Studio Designs/Outdoor Scenes Folder
              http://www.minutesmatterstudio.com/f...=outdoor+scene

Q. Where did you get the wood finishes you used?
              A. Google the type of wood you need (cherry, mahogany, pecan, walnut, etc) and click on Images. Then save the individual images of the wood finishes to your My Studio Designs/Wood Fills folder in the same manner you save and crop fabric samples. See below
              a file of wood finishes is available in post #5 here http://www.minutesmatterstudio.com/f...tchen+cabinets

Q. Could you explain how you used Photoshop to get the perspective view of the rug?
              A. http://www.minutesmatterstudio.com/f...vation-drawing

Q. What fonts did you use?
              A. Edwardian Script: http://www.sofontes.com.br/en/search...wardian+script
              Flux Architect: http://www.dafont.com/flux.font

Q. How do you change the rendering to a vector file?
              A. Studio creates renderings in a Vector format, no conversion necessary.

Q. Please explain how you drew the overhead lighting.
              A. I drew a circle and flatted it somewhat into an ellipse, then duplicated it and made it smaller; align middle/align center; then with the close bezier tool I drew the “glow” and made it very transparent. See example below.

Q. How do you download and use templates or .mms files from the Lounge?
              A. Check out the video Anna recorded - linked in this thread:
              http://www.minutesmatterstudio.com/f...rom-the-Lounge

Q. Where did you get the throw you used on the library chair?
              A. Can't remember, but again, just google "throw" or "cashmere throw" or whatever style you want and save the image. If it's on a chair - all the better! Use Photo Clip to cut it out and save to your Custom folder. See attached file.

Q. Sometimes when I save a fabric from a vendor, the color isn't true or vivid enough. Is there a way to fix that?
              A. Yes, use Photoshop to lighten/brighten/straighten your fabric samples. See this thread for examples: http://www.minutesmatterstudio.com/f...bric+photoshop

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_7950.jpg
Views:	875
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	8541 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_7952.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	8542
              Attached Files

Comment

Re: Follow-up for "Studio Live" - Outdoor Dining May 2011

Q. Could you add the planter to the Lounge?
                A. I showed two planters, both are attached below. Practice cutting out the planter with shrub and flowers using your Photo Clip tool. Save to Custom Tab.

Q. When you export your rendering as a jpeg do you use Low, Medium or High Quality?
                A. For email purposes, use either Low or Medium. To blow the rendering up to poster size, you want High or Very High.

Q. Once you draw a box around several images (aka lasso) can you move them without grouping?
                A. Yes, you can do that. If you're afraid you might lose one of the images, you can group before moving and then ungroup to make any changes.

Q. What can do you if you make a bad photo clip?
                A. You can either delete it and start over or use the photo clip to trace another section next to the first clip. You can also move the edit points if you've captured too much.

Q. When do you use lock and unlock?
                A. The only time I use it is when I don't want an image to move, such as a photo you're designing on or an image to which you are adding detail. All images by default are unlocked.

Q. Is there any way to get access to the photos shown in the Intro?
                A. Yes, purchase the recording! I googled literally hundreds and hundreds of different images using keywords such as al fresco dining, outdoor dining, outdoor furniture, patio, deck, terrace, loggia, veranda, etc.

Q. Why would you use Duplicate (control/D) instead of Copy (control/C)?
                A. Because it's only one step instead of two! When you use Copy, you have to then use Paste.

Q. Where did the dining table come from?
                A. The dining table that I copied and pasted from an earlier rendering was one that I drew using the polygon and rectangle tools. That table along with the chairs will be part of the Studio template you will receive when you purchase the recording of the webinar. See pic below - click thumbnail to enlarge.

Q. I find that we had many more selections of window treatments before Jackie Von Tobel's designs were offered. Would you be adding back or new designs without purchasing them?
                A. No designs were eliminated when the Jackie Von Tobel modules were added. As a matter of fact, all the M'Fay and Pate Meadows designs that were previously only available as downloadable files from the Lounge were included in the program at no extra charge.

Q: Did I see that Studio is available as a monthly subscription, and if so, are all of the modules available? How much and how do I sign up?
                A: Yes, Studio in the Clouds on line version is $47.85 per month which includes all the modules but the new bedding module - that's an additional $4.75/month. It works with a PC, Mac or iPad, no additional software needed. Click on this link to order or call the office 800.343.0616
                https://minutes.infusionsoft.com/car...t=9&naviprod=1

Name:	image_7969.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	1.6 KB
ID:	8544 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_7970.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	8545 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_7971.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	8546

Comment

The Design Directory of Bedding Module Webinar June 8, 2011

We had a few questions that need further explanation or illustration...
                  Q. How do you do the perspective view of the bed cover top?
                  A. Follow these steps (click on thumbnail below on left)
                  1. Drag on the cover you want to use; make it transparent.
                  2. Draw a rectangle the width and length of the cover; fill with fabric edited to scale.
                  3. Save the rectangle (delete the cover) as a jpeg file.
                  4. Open Photoshop and import the fabric rectangle.
                  5. Click on Image > Transform > Distort; say ok to create a new layer
                  6. Push the top left and right edit points in about 12 squares on each side.
                  7. Click File > Save As and save in the compuserv .gif format in order to keep the background transparent.
                  8. Import image into Studio and place on bed; resize if necessary
                  Q. Where can I find the individual components of the bedding designs?
                  A. Right click on the image and select Image Components. When you see a + sign, double click to open it further. Another option is to click on Image List and scroll down to view the particular image you want to access.

Q. I have a quilting machine. How can I show a quilted bed cover?
                  A. Create a jpeg of the quilting design and save as a jpeg. Follow the directions for Photoshop above. When you've imported the image into Studio, use the Photo Knockout tool to erase the white background so that just the quilting pattern shows.
                  There is bedspread with diamond quilting in the Covers category which you can use for a quilted effect; change the lining color to complement your fabric. Shorten the image to use as a coverlet.

Q. Where are the cute cat and dog images?
                  A. I drew the pets in Studio several years ago. You can download them here:
                  http://www.minutesmatterstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?639-Small-Accessories-new!&highlight=kitty

Q. Are the accessories you used in the renderings part of the Studio program?
                  A. Some of them are, and some are imported images from various vendors using the Photo Knockout tool to erase the background. Most of the flowers, lamps, night tables and ottomans are from the Furniture module. The artwork is mostly from Internet sources. I've attached a few jpegs of the renderings.

Q. How can I use the Eastern Accents program in Studio?
                  A. Select the bedding collection you are proposing for your client and then save the fabrics just as you would from any other vendor to fill your designs. See jpeg of the angled view bed rendering below. Click here to open an account: https://secure.easternaccents.com/Account.asp

Name:	image_7992.jpg
Views:	790
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	8548 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_7993.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	8549 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_7994.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	8550 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_7995.jpg
Views:	782
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	8551 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_7996.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	8552

Comment

Re: The Design Directory of Bedding Module Webinar June 8, 2011

more jpegs of the renderings

Name:	image_8001.jpg
Views:	3190
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	8557 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_8000.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	8556 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_7997.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	8553 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_7998.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	8554 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_7999.jpg
Views:	771
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	8555

Comment

attached is the arched canopy we showed that you can download and add to your Custom Tab to use with the metal canopy beds.

Name:	image_8002.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	8558 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_8009.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	8565
                      Attached Files

Comment

more jpegs of the renderings

Name:	image_8004.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	8560 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_8005.jpg
Views:	3152
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	8561 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_8006.jpg
Views:	2562
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	8562 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_8007.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	8563 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_8008.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	8564

Comment

Follow-up for "Transoms, Bows & Bays - Oh My!" July 2011

I love this comment from Linda Yackle:
                          " I have a contractor friend who reminds his clients when they want bay,bow,eyebrow, etc windows: "If you bend it, you spend it." And he reminds them it will be more expensive to treat these type of windows. : ) "
                          QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS:

Q: Are there instructions for making the title you used on the rendering?
                          A. I am assuming you are referring to the logo template. This is done using the rectangle tool to create a header and a footer with text boxes for the business name, address, phone, website, etc. If you have a logo graphic you can import that also. We teach this in the Novice Coaching Program and we also offer courses in both Logo Design and Logo Templates. Click here for more information:
                          https://minutes.infusionsoft.com/car...57&naviprod=95
                          https://minutes.infusionsoft.com/car...57&naviprod=97

Q. What is the hardware you showed on the operable door?
                          A. Those components are part of a kit sold by Rowley Company www.rowleyco.com It is called the Swing Door Kit and sells for $ 24.95. You can watch a recorded webinar to see how it is used. http://www.rowleycompany.com/content/webinars.asp?

Q. I need a refresher on cropping and editing fabrics.
                          A. Have you watched our Mini-Clips? This link will take you there - the fabric series is right at the top:
                          http://www.minutesmatterstudio.com/f...-and-functions

Q. How do you calibrate your printer and monitor so that the colors are true?
                          A. This is a complicated process and can be expensive. Click here for an article that allows you to test your monitor and explains how calibration is done: http://www.imaging-resource.com/ARTS.../CALIBRATE.HTM
                          With the printer, you need to make sure that your cartridges haven't exhausted one of the primary colors - cyan, magenta or yellow - because that will affect how your renderings look when printed.

Q. What is the Rowley pin strip and how is it used?
                          A. The notched pin strip is made from PVC and can be shaped to fit inside or outside arches, screwed to mounting boards or in the ceiling of a bay. It's very versatile, inexpensive, and easy to install. Drapery pins fit into the holes. They also carry Velcro strips to use in a similar fashion. click on the thumbnail below to view a photo of the pin strip. It is pictured here in the arch shape: https://www.costore.com/productimages/1074384E.jpg

Q. Doesn't a very wide rod need a center support?
                          A. Yes, most rods over 6' require a bracket or center support. You can use the drawing tools to create one to match the style you are proposing. A simple round rectangle can sometimes serve as the center bracket image.

Q. Are the woven woods part of the Studio images?
                          A. There is a woven wood shade in the Hard Treatments folder. I like to use a Roman Shade image and fill it with the actual sample I will be using. It's done in the same manner as a fabric fill - save the image from the vendor's site, crop it, and load it under Fabric Fill Effects.

Q. Where is the fabric swatch located?
                          A. Under Step 4 Paint & Color - it's the first image in Color Cards

Name:	image_8089.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	8599
                          Last edited by Merlyn; 02-02-2013, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Re: Follow-up for "Studio Live! "Transoms, Bows & Bays - Oh My!" July 2011

If you purchased the Wall Template Module after viewing this webinar, it's important to remember when measuring, resizing or changing the drawing scale that youcan only use the set scale tool and dimension tool to measure one "layer" of the rendering - i.e., either the farthest wall or the closest wall, the farthest window or the closest window, on a perspective drawing. You can only change the drawing scale based on one measurement; you can't keep changing it for different dimensions. Also, you cannot measure an angled window accurately because of the perspective; the window is foreshortened and therefore narrower appearing.

In order to show real life dimensions, keep the drawing set for 1:20, then resize the center wall of the bay; adjust the side walls if necessary to conform with the height of the center wall. Next either resize the windows in the template or delete and add your own in the correct dimensions. Add dimension lines.

Then draw a dimension on the side windows and block the number of inches with a plain, no outline rectangle. With the text box add the correct dimension. In the drawing below I've resized the center wall and window and the right side window; the left side remains to be done.

Name:	image_8102.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	8601

Comment

Re: Follow-up for "Studio Live! The Beach House Guest Room" - August 24, 2011

We had some great questions today which I will list here and try to give more in-depth answers with links to mini-clips and other threads within The Lounge>

Q. Irfanview - several attendees wanted to know about this freeware and how to use it.
                              A. www.irfanview.com download and install on your computer; add the icon to your quick launch toolbar for even faster access
                              To brighten/lighten lace, which sometimes appears to have a black or gray background, open the saved image in Irfanview and click on Image > Enhance Colors. Then use the brightness slider bar or the gamma correction bar to brighten and lighten. Click File > Save As and rename the file.
                              to watch the mini-clip on how to use the software, click here:

Q. I sometimes need a different angle on the beds. How do I accomplish that?
                              A. The Bedding Module was designed to show the straight on view and a side view that could work with a perspective rendering. You can try to change the angle slightly by completing your design with bedding, skirt, pillows, etc. and then grouping. Double click to activate the skew/perspective edit points and move them in and out, up or down, to adjust the angle. You may also need to add dimension for the side view by working with the polygon or close bezier tools. This is an advanced technique and will require some practice. I like to drag on the bed and then adjust the angle of the wall to match - much easier. Artistic license is allowed!

Q. My text box appears cut off when I print out my rendering.
                              A. Make sure you have drawn a large enough box using the Text tool (not Rich Edit). Pull the side center or bottom center edit point out. Then click on View > Zoom to check it at 100%. Or export the rendering and open the jpeg version to view.

Q. Where is the Snipping Tool located that you used for the Benjamin Moore paint chip sample?
                              A. Windows Vista and 7 have the Snipping Tool. Look for it under Accessories from your Start Menu > all Programs. Windows XP can use Jing in a similar fashion; it's a free program from www.techsmith.com

Q. When editing fabric do you always change both the height and width?
                              A. No, it's not necessary to edit both when you are working with a print or patterned fabric. Change the height to match the vertical repeat shown in your sample and the width will change automatically in proportion. With a stripe fabric and a horizontal repeat, uncheck the Keep Aspect Ratio box and type in the length of the treatment you are filling and the horizontal repeat shown in the sample (for example, if your repeat is 6.75 and your sample shows three repeats, use 20.25" as your width). for mini-clip, see above link

Q. How do I know what dimensions to use when resizing a headboard?
                              A. Use a dimension tool to draw a line equal to the desired width of the headboard as it will be against the wall; then resize the image to match that width. The area of the bed in the foreground will always be much wider due to the perspective view.

Q. How did you draw the open window?
                              A. It's a magic trick. No, seriously, it does require a few extra steps so only do it for fun! Drag on your plain window with casing,and add your outdoor scene. Then using the polygon and rectangle tools draw the upper and lower sashes. Position as desired.

Name:	image_8131.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	8608
                              Last edited by Merlyn; 02-02-2013, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Re: Follow up to "Studio Live! The Studio Apartment" September Webinar

We had so many questions today! I don't know how Debbie and Anna kept up with all them. I will try to answer or expand upon most them here.

Q. Where is the Edit Points Icon?
                                A. After you use one of the drawing tools such as the Close Bezier or the Polygon, or the Photo Clip tool, you may want to see each individual edit point created by the click of the mouse, in order to move it or delete it. To do so, click on the Home or Format tabs and select Edit Points under the Drawing tools. See screenshot below.

Q. How do you access the red edit points?
                                A. The red edit points or skew/perspective edit points can be accessed by double clicking on the image. Move the top or bottom corner edit points for a perspective view or the center edit points to skew the image.

Q. How do you add tools to your quick access tool bar?
                                A. Select the tool and right click on it, then choose Add to Quick Access Toolbar. To undo this action or a similar change, click on the Raspberry icon and Options > select toolbar > reset.

Q. I have trouble lassoing images - how is that done?
                                A. Place your cursor above the images to the top left. Left click with your mouse, holding down the button and dragging from left to right and down below the desired images. Release the button and take your next action - align, group, add color, etc. You may have to go outside your rendering or photo to allow this.

Q. Where is the fabric swatch located?
                                A. It can be found under Elevations tab, Step 4 Paint and Color, under Color Cards, top left. Fill with fabric just as you would any image (Properties>Fill>Fabric tab).

Q. I can't seem to add more than one custom color.
                                A. Under the Custom button, select your first color and add to custom; then click on an empty white box and select your second color.

Q. What is that trick with filling in the parts of an image such as a lampshade that get wiped out when the Photo Knockout tool is used?
                                A. When an image has a white background and also some white or pale color in the accessory or furniture piece, that can also be erased. To fix this, use the polygon tool to trace the image, delete the outline and then place this shape behind the lamp or whatever. As you move the transparency bar to the right, the color is filled in. If the shade, for example, is more cream or gray, use the eyedropper tool to pick up the color of the shade for the polygon shape.
                                Watch the mini-clip to see it demonstrated:

Q. How do I create a logo template?
                                A. We offer a course on this subject and it's also part of our Novice Coaching Program. To purchase the 90 minutes course click here:
                                https://minutes.infusionsoft.com/car...73&naviprod=97

Q. What is the font you used for the Carriage Trade logo template?
                                A. It's called Edwardian Script. You may have it on your computer as part of your Windows Office program or you may download it here:
                                http://www.azfonts.net/load_font/edw...scriptitc.html

Q. Where was the slide show? I missed it this month and last.
                                A. The slide show will return next month. Tune in about 15-30 minutes ahead of our scheduled start time to watch it. It consists of over 200 Studio renderings of different room settings for your inspiration.

Q. How do you duplicate an image?
                                A. There are three ways to duplicate:
                                1. Hold down the Control key and drag off a second image
                                2. Right click on the image and select Duplicate
                                3. Use your Control key and the letter D

Name:	image_8143.jpg
Views:	1041
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	8611 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_8144.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	8612

Comment

Re: Follow-up for "Studio Live! Getting Ready for Holiday Dining - October 2011

not too many questions today...
                                  Q. How do you move the color wheel out of the way so the eyedropper tool can touch the color you want to duplicate?
                                  A. Place your cursor on the top bar (usually blue) of the color wheel (actually color hexagon!) window -- then click, hold and drag the window out of the way.

Q. Is the 15 minutes slideshow of Studio renderings that starts before the webinar part of the recording?
                                  A. No, it is not. Perhaps I can produce it as a separate video...will check with Debbie to see if she wants to offer it in some form.

Q. What do you do when you don't have a full fabric repeat?
                                  A. Depending on how awful it looks when you fill your design, you can either not use it, or use it and edit to the actual height shown (say a 27" sample). Show the fabric off to the side in the fabric swatch from the color cards section.
                                  In the thumbnail below the Thibaut fabric has a 36" vertical repeat but the sample only shows 27" of the fabric. I left it as is, edited it to 27" in height. On the right panel I also changed the width to 8" (that's a typo on the image) and it doesn't look too bad.

Q. How do you fill fold lines to make the treatment appear less full?
                                  A. Use either the close bezier or polygon tool (solid color, not the line tools), draw a shape over the fold lines, delete the outline (Line Width > None) and fill with your fabric.

Q. How do you make the background of an imported image disappear?
                                  A. Right click on the image, choose Properties > Fill and then slide the transparency bar to the right to erase the white background. If the background is another solid color, use the eyedropper tool to pick up that color and then slide. This is called Photo Knockout; a short video is available to watch this demonstrated in our Mini-clips thread: http://www.minutesmatterstudio.com/f...-and-functions

Name:	image_8181.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	8622

Comment

November - The Great Family Room

Q. How would you create a harlequin wall treatment?
                                    A. Use the polygon tool to draw a diamond shape and then duplicate. Color the background one color and the harlequin shape another. Use the method of holding down the control key and dragging off duplicates, positioning them one after the other. Then select all the diamonds, click Space Across and Align Top. Group the first row, then duplicate until you have filled the wall. See attached. The red bath in the Louis XIV style with the bee wallcovering in my slide show uses this technique.

Q. How do you create the shadings and shadows on and under the furniture?
                                    A. They are drawn with the polygon and close bezier tools. Some use gradient fill, shading lighter to dark, and most have a degree of transparency. The colors at the very bottom of the color palette are useful for creating shadows - the taupes and purple-browns, especially. To add highlights, use the same technique but lighter colors. These shapes have the outline deleted (Line Width > None).

Q. Can you alter a furniture image to fit a certain perspective?
                                    A. As we showed in the webinar, you can us the skew/perspective edit points (red) to change the angles of the chairs, sofas and tables, but only slightly.

Q. How do you create a mirror image?
                                    A. Complete the design, right click>Duplicate or Control/D and then use the Flip Horizontal button under the Rotate tools, Format tab.

Q. Can you skew imported images?
                                    A. No, you cannot; only Studio images from the Toolbox can be skewed. If you want to use a rug or painting in a perspective view, you must edit the photo in Photoshop before importing it into Studio. See this thread for the how-to:
                                    http://www.minutesmatterstudio.com/f...vation-drawing

Q. What is the font you used on the cabinet maker's specs page?
                                    A. It's called Flux Architect. Download here: http://www.dafont.com/flux.font

Name:	image_8211.jpg
Views:	1610
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	8630
                                    Last edited by Merlyn; 07-24-2012, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Re: Webinar Attendees' Questions 2011

spotted this interesting blog on family rooms by Mark Sikes; check out the gorgeous photos (some are more formal living room than family room, but all inspirational). His own family room featured in this month's House Beautiful is one of my faves - great seating, loads of pillows, fabulous built-ins - an all-around comfortable look.
                                      http://www.markdsikes.com/2011/11/29...-rooms-part-1/

Comment

Re: Follow-up for The Breakfast Room December 14, 2011

here's the Christmas tree template with the "bling" don't forget to save in your custom folder.

just a few questions from today....

The metal topiary plaques were from Ballard Designs
                                        http://www.ballarddesigns.com/tole-t...-plaques/10854

The reflection of the chandelier lights/ceiling lights was created with either the circle or the close bezier tool, gradient fill of yellow and white and made slightly transparent.

To rename a tab at the bottom of the workspace, right click on the tab, select the Rename option, then position your cursor at the end of the text and backspace to the beginning to start typing. This will delete the existing text. Do a Control/S to save the change. See thumbnail below to read from the Studio Help Manual

Name:	image_8225.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	8637 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_8226.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	8638
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...